Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Children can be Embarrassing

Well I decided I have a few minutes and considered it time for another story. When ever you think your kids have really embarrassed you, then think about this story and thank your lucky stars because it could always be worse. I do have to say not only was our youngest the most loving of children, but he has always been outgoing and always was entertaining.
We lived in Alaska and had been attending church in a place called Moose Creek. (Yes there is such a place in Alaska as well as one called North Pole. Yes I did think my husband was taking us to the end of the world. I was not a fan of going to Alaska. I could only think it would be cold and you can't imagine how cold 70 below is until you have lived it.) I digress down rabbit trails. Well we were looking to change churches and there was a new church being started by a parent of one of my students. We decided to help them get started and ultimately decided to make this our home church. Although after this story I am not sure why we would show our face again. Anyway, we had been going there for a few weeks. We had to meet in the pastors living room. He stood at the front of the room and we were lined up facing him. The only bathroom was behind where he was standing. We had just finished singing and it was quiet. Pretty soon I hear "Mommy" being yelled. I looked at my husband and we were both hoping it was not our son calling, because that would mean we had to get up infront of all those people to see what the problem was. Everyone was still being very quiet and I hear again a call from that bathroom, "Mommy" being yelled. I am praying that my husband will get up and he is praying that I will get up. Since we neither of us moved the call comes a third time with added information. "Mommy, come wipe my butt." Well at this the entire church started laughing, I am turning red, because of course my husband won't get up, after all he had called for Mommy and not Daddy. Needless to say I had to get up and walk infront of all those people while facing the pastor. That was bad enough, but I knew I would have to walk out of the bathroom and actually face all those people.
Now as you pick yourself up, wipe the tears from your eyes, and thank your lucky stars it wasn't you I will wait patiently for stories of how embarrassing your children can be. By the way, I fully intend to enlighten his children some day with how they can embarrass their father, but I am not sure they can top that. He was such a precocious child. I can laugh now, but didn't find humor in this moment in time.

No comments: